Each Candidate must have an individual Sponsor. The Sponsor may be one of the Baptismal Godparents, again, showing the unity of the two sacraments, or the Candidate may choose a new person to share this part of his/her faith journey with them. The Sponsor should be a person with whom the student can identify in terms of Christian living and who can support and encourage the young person in their faith life. A parent is not able to be the Sponsor for his/her child. Additional qualifications for the Sponsor are:
- 1. They must be a practicing member of the Catholic Church, who has received the sacraments of Baptism, Eucharist, and Confirmation.
- 2. They must be active in the Church and its mission.
- 3. They must be at least 16 years old. If a prospective Sponsor is under the age of 18, they must obtain special permission from the Pastor. Please contact the Youth Ministry Office if this is the case.
- 4. They can assist in the Candidate’s preparation for the sacrament by talking to, praying for and with the candidate, and meeting with the candidate on a regular basis.
- 5. They are to assist the Candidate in fulfilling their Baptismal promises.
- 6. They need to be available to present the Candidate to the Bishop at the celebration of the Sacrament of Confirmation.
- 7. They need to be available to the candidate after receiving the Sacrament to continue to support them as they grow into adult faith.
The Sponsor Certification Form is for the Sponsor to fill out and return to the Youth Ministry Office. Once you submit this form, we will mail the form to your Sponsor to fill out and return in the prepaid envelope. It is strongly encouraged that the candidate chooses an adult that will guide them through this process and be there to form them following Confirmation.
[contact-form-7 id=”2151″ title=”Sponsor Information Sheet”]